Sunday, May 18, 2014

My First 10k!

It is official!  The Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon; Half Marathon; 10k!  Today was my day to add another milestone into my journey.  I'll tell you something....I almost didn't even go.  My anxiety got SO bad yesterday that I really almost decided it would be worse dealing with my anxiety than running at all.  BOY was I glad I stuck it out.

I followed my friend Kelly there and we got there and it was FREEZING!!!  Super windy and freaking cold!  We hopped and stepped around trying to keep our bodies warm as best we could.  The national anthem was sung (by an amazing woman who obviously was a country singer) and off we went.  It took probably 10-15 minutes for us to finally hit that starting line.

Once I hit the line, I was off (and obviously started the timer on my Garmin GPS watch).  Kelly and I had agreed that if one of us fell behind to just keep going and we would meet at the finish line.  At one point I lost her as she weaved through the people and then I was on my own.  Music blaring and feet jogging along the streets of Cleveland.

I kept looking at my wrist seeing how far I had been running and see that 1 mile come up.  "WOW that was fast!"  I was keeping an 11:16 mile and I was happy with that.  Next I hit the 2 mile 11:39 "Ok, pace yourself but speed up a little".  I hit the 3 mile and realize "HOLY CRAP I just ran 3 miles in under 35 minutes!"  It was my best time yet!  The fastest I had ever gone was 35:15 I believe last year.  I hit 4.5 miles and say "Wow I am practically done!" and then 5 miles hits.

As we came back we went over a bridge but most of the way was uphill.  I can't tell you how many times I talked myself out of walking.  I figured I would just slow it down a bit to catch my breath and then pick it all back up again.  I hit 6 and thought "Where the hell is the finish line!?"  That kind of threw me off because Garmin said I went 6.3 miles, but I kept going!


 SO, here comes the finish line...I even feel myself slow up a little bit.  Then BAM!  I run so fast I feel like my legs will fall off or I may puke and I pass up others just to get to that finish line!

Here is my official time from the chip on my racing bib.  I have to say I did better than I thought I would!  When running at home I did 1:27 and that included me walking a bit up some pretty steep hills.  I couldn't be more happy with the time.  In all honesty, I am just glad I never stopped to walk!

As I was going through my info on Map My Fitness and looked at the break down of my miles, at some points it says I was doing like a 9 minute mile (must have been those downhill moments while I caught my breath).  Either way I couldn't believe I had done it and that I had made it!

I finished strong, grabbed a water, grabbed my banana and sat down in the grass to stretch it out!  I met back up with Kelly (who did amazing btw beating me with her time!) and we just sat and of course took our post race SELFIIIIIEEEEE!!!

Why can I never just smile....I have to make these ridiculous freaky faces.  Anywho, We walked back to the cars and I got in and headed home.  I was so thankful she was there to help me with my anxiety.  I told her she probably thinks I am a psychopath....but she ran with me anyways ;)

I was able to run into some family and friends at the race and everyone did amazing!!  I was glad I completed my goal of fully running a 10k.  No stopping, 6.2 (Garmin said 6.3) miles, showing the world what one can accomplish when we are determined and when we put our mind (and body) to the test!

So, thank you Kelly for not weirding out on me and being an amazing friend!  Hey remember when we used to play soccer together on our co-ed team!?  Life brings you back together for a reason and YOU my friend really helped me today!

I am so blessed and thankful and proud of myself for what I was able to do.  Again showing others what can be done when you want to change your life into a healthy and active one!

This will be the longest I ever would want to run, so no, I am not going to train for a half marathon or full marathon.....I am totally ok with my 10k!  Maybe one day I will change my mind, but for now I am all good ;)  Thanks for reading and have an amazing weekend everyone!  I am relaxing and then will be celebrating my birthday with my in-laws today.  Keeping it low key before I hit the big 32 tomorrow!  EEP!

~ <3 ~
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Be Interested In These

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...